Offering basic calling features and high-speed data at affordable rates, Tello uses the Three network to offer 97% population coverage across the UK.
Tello offers standard pay as you go (PAYG) service and a customizable collection of bundles, they offer the flexibility of a big network without the prices. PAYG bundles range from £3 to £14 per month.
As a SIM-only network, you’ll need to bring your own phone. However, they support both 3G and 4G phones, making their service compatible with most newer unlocked mobiles.
- Customizable tariffs: Choose how many minutes, texts and megabytes of data you want. You can upgrade or downgrade as needed to suit your needs.
- Low PAYG rates: For occasional use their 3p per minute voice calls, 3p texts and 1p per MB data fees are some of the lowest among UK networks.
- International Plans: Calling abroad often? Tello offers plans to 22 different countries with great per-minute rates.
Awards and Recognitions
- Uses the Three network, #1 in 3G Download Speeds in OpenSignal's State of Mobile Networks: UK (April 2017) report
- Uses the Three network, #2 in 4G Download Speeds in OpenSignal's State of Mobile Networks: UK (April 2017) report
- Uses the Three network, #2 in Ookla’s 2016 Speedtest Market Report UK for both upload and download speeds
- Uses the Three network, #2 in overall download speeds in OpenSignal’s 2016 UK State of the Mobile Network report
- Uses the Three network, #1 in 3G download speeds in OpenSignal’s 2016 UK State of the Mobile Network report
- Uses the Three network, #2 for 4G download and upload speeds in Ofcom’s 2016 Smartphone Cities report
- Uses the Three network, #1 in 3G download speeds in Ofcom’s 2016 Smartphone Cities report
How's the Network Coverage and Speed?
Tello uses the Three network to provide coverage in the UK. According to Three, their 3G network now covers 97% of the UK population. Their 4G network lags behind slightly at 63%. However, at the time of writing, they’re working to expand both 4G coverage and support for HD Voice capabilities.
You can check coverage and network types in your area at their support page.
In the 2016 “Speedtest Market Report UK”, Three ranked second for both upload and download speeds. Uploads averaged 10 Mbits per second while downloads averaged 22 Mbits per second.
OpenSignal's "State of Mobile Networks: UK (April 2017)" found average 4G download speeds of 23Mbits per second and 3G downloads speeds of 7Mbits per second.
This is similar to their data from last year. OpenSignal’s 2016 “State of the Mobile Network UK” report shows average 4G download speeds of 24 Mbits per second and 3G download speeds of 6 Mbits per second.
Finally, Ofcom’s 2016 “Smartphone Cities” report shows overall download speeds across 8 of the UK’s major cities averaging 15 Mbits per second.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
At the time of writing, Tello does not support roaming. If you should need to place a call while you’re abroad, the My Tello app offers Wi-Fi calling using your monthly allotment of minutes.
For more information, consult Tello’s Help Center.
What About Long Distance Fees?
All Tello plans include calling to mobiles and landlines in the UK with your monthly minute balance.
For calls outside the UK, costs will depend on your destination.
You can find a full list of rates on Tello’s Pay as you Go page.
If you frequently place international calls, they also offer international plans for 22 different countries starting around £8 per month. Each offer discounts over the PAYG rate if you use the full allotment of minutes.
For details on these plans, consult Tello’s International Plans page.
Does Tello Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
Yes. Although they do not support native Wi-Fi calling, their My Tello app provides Wi-Fi calling features at the same rates as traditional mobile calls.
For phone compatibilty information and usage instructions, consult their My Tello App page.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Can I Tether My Mobile?
Yes! Tello allows tethering at no additional charge using your bundle’s data allotment. If you’re out of data in your bundle, usage is billed at PAYG rates.
For full details on activating tethering on your phone, consult their Help Center.
NOTE: Tethering with a laptop or gaming console will often result in more data use than using your phone. If you have a tariff with a small data bucket, monitor your tethering usage to avoid unwanted surprises.
Can I Rollover Unused Data?
At the time of writing, Tello does not include data rollover with any of their tariffs.
What Add-ons or Bundles are Available?
Outside of standard service bundles and international plans, Tello does not offer bundles or add-ons.
Can I Bring My Own Mobile?
Yes! Since Tello doesn’t sell phones, you have no choice.
With support for 3G and 4G there’s a good chance you can bring your unlocked phone to Tello.
You’ll find a full list of PAYG bundles on their National Plans page.
Does This Network Require a Credit Check?
No! As all of Tello’s services are prepaid or PAYG, there’s no need for a credit check to establish service.
Do They Charge an Early Termination Fee?
With no contracts, there’s no worry about early termination fees should you choose to switch to another network.
Can I Port My Number To or From EE?
All mobile networks in the UK must provide a PAC Code upon request. Giving this code to a new network will allow you to transfer your number.
To port your number to or from Tello, contact customer support and request your PAC code. They must deliver your PAC code within 2 hours of your request.
To receive your PAC code:
- The account you are trying to transfer from must remain open.
- You must be able to verify your identity through either personal documents or payment history
Once you receive your code, contact Tello or your new network and give them the code. In most cases, your number will transfer within 1 to 2 business days. Be sure to complete this process quickly, as PAC codes expire 30 days from the date they are issued.
Will They Unlock My Mobile?
Tello does not sell phones. If your mobile is locked to another network, consult our network summaries to find instructions and possible unlocking fees.
For other questions about pricing, features and coverage, be sure to check our Tello Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.